Do you have your 2017 marketing plan started? If not, now is a great time to start. Why is a marketing plan good to have? With a plan in place, you and your team will not be standing around thinking “how should we market ourselves” or “how can we get more customers.” A marketing plan keeps you organized and on track. The New Year will be here before you know it and you don’t want to be unprepared.
Below are a few items that should be included in your 2017 marketing.
Email is not dead and is a must have in your marketing campaign. Sending out weekly emails is a great way to keep in touch with your customers. Automated emails are great as long as you can personalize them.
Here are some tips for email marketing:
- Use first names – It relaxes the reader and puts you on an even playing field.
- Avoid using exclamation signs - Unless they are necessary.
- Format your email properly – Your emails should never look sloppy. They need to be easy to read.
- Keep readers on their toes – Curiosity will most likely force reader to go through the entire email no matter what.
- Check your emails before sending them – Everybody makes mistakes.
- Don’t use capital letter to emphasize certain words – It looks unprofessional.
- Present exclusive email offers – This will make reader more inclined to respond.
- Make sure your database is clean – Make sure all unsubscribers are removed.
What Makes You Different?
- What makes you different from your competitors?
- How do you stand out?
Reach out to some of your customers and find out why they chose to buy from you or use your services. What could make them switch teams and buy from your competitors instead? This is valuable information that you could use in your marketing campaigns.
Videos will be huge in 2017. Cisco predicts that videos will account for 69% of all consumer internet traffic by 2017. With internet speeds and mobile usage continually rising, this should come as no surprise. Users are able to stream videos wherever they are, whenever they want.
By creating relevant, high quality video content and leveraging them on video-friendly social media networks such as YouTube, Facebook and Instagram you can get your content to more customers.
Take a fresh look at your website. Enlist some of your colleagues or friends to do the same.
- Is the content up-to-date and relevant?
- Does the design need a facelift?
- Are the photos/images out dated?
Now is a great time to get your website ready for 2017. Even if you have the best marketing plan in place, you could lose customers if your website is out of date.
Mobile will be a must, not a choice
Mobile will become an everyday reality in 2017. Why? Aside from the fact that Google has listed mobile optimization as a ranking factor, people’s habits have changed. Over 80% of internet users now own a smartphone, fluidly switching between devices to find information and communicate with loved ones. I can’t stress this enough – make sure your website is mobile friendly.
To make things easier, Google provides a tool to test whether your website is mobile-friendly. Simply type in your URL to get a report outlining how mobile-optimized your site is. https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com/
Numbers vs. Relationship
It’s not about the number of people you have on your email list or database; it’s about the relationship you have with them.
- Would you rather have a list of 100 people that are repeat customers or a list of 1,000 people who have never done business with you?
Consumers are willing to buy from people they trust and have a business relationship with then someone they just met.
This may seem odd to some, but a marketing calendar can keep you on track and give you an overall look of how your plan lays out. You don’t have to plan out the entire year in one setting. You can take it one month at a time if that is easier for you. Plus you can make notes on what worked and what didn’t so next year you can have an even stronger marketing plan. Click here to download our marketing calendar template.
Do you need help implanting your 2017 marketing plan? Do you need help getting started?